The children love Greek yogurt. However, if you ever peek at the nutrition label on the back of a Zoi yogurt – look out. You might fall over at how much sugar is in there!
That being said . . . it is the best Greek yogurt I have ever tasted.
But we are trying to reduce sugar and processed foods, so now we buy the plain Greek yogurt and the children sweeten it with honey. They have even come to love it with toasted oats and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips on top. Yes, we do keep chocolate around.
I got the bright idea to combine the mixture I use on the toasted granola and make a crunchy, salty-yet-sweet, nutty, chewy snack mix out of it also. However, in my experimentation, I came up with something that was almost too sweet . . . so you will find the snack mix has been slightly tweaked from the original toasted oat recipe.
You can find the Homemade Granola Recipe here.
But first a few quick tips and info:
- If you have a Costco nearby, use it. This is where I got my almonds, pecans, and pine nuts for this mixture.
- I also discovered I love pumpkins seeds, so that got thrown in as well!
- Once this mixture is cool, you can crumble it and add in chopped dried fruit if you wish – this adds a burst of flavor to the nuts and seeds. We have ordered dried cherries in bulk on Amazon in the past and are still using them up.
- The unsweetened coconut could be added after it is cooled – whichever you prefer.
- As I make this in the future, I will probably keep tweaking it – so you are welcome to check back for an updated version later.
I am listing these as two separate recipes because we use them for a couple different things. I personally mix the two and pour milk over it for a quick granola . . . plus I can eat the snack mixture by the handfuls. The kids like to use the toasted oats on yogurt, and I hope to get them to at least taste the snack mix. Lowell likes a small bowl of the snack mix in his lunch! So we all have our favorite ways to eat these.
Update: I had originally listed both recipes here and then found I had already put the granola (toasted oats) on the blog. In this picture, I omitted the rice krispies, but we now like to add them in like the recipe says. If you wish, you can view the granola recipe here.
Toasted Snack Mix
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 10 cups nut/seed/coconut mixture pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, chopped almonds, pecans, unsweetened coconut
Melt the butter, maple syrup, honey, and vanilla together.
Pour over the nut/seed mixture.
Spread on two cookie sheets and bake at 300 degrees, stirring every 15-20 minutes. Cool.