Have I mentioned before how we’re taking “baby steps” towards healthier eating? If you are of Plain circles, you will know how much we can pack the fat, flour, and sugar into our diets. We love rich food!
But our waistlines don’t.
So I was excited to receive this cookbook in the mail to do a review and giveaway on it! It is written by Amanda Stolzfus, a homeschooling mother of seven children.
My first impression:
Hands down, this is the most beautiful “healthy” cookbook I’ve ever been privileged to look at! Now if you know me, I love food that not only tastes good, but looks good too. And this cookbook is packed full of absolutely gorgeous pictures and a beautiful, feminine design. A Scripture verse comes with every recipe, as well as several dazzling photos.
Already . . . I like it!
No white flour
No white sugar
No hydrogenated oils
Instead, she recommends using whole wheat flour, sucanat/coconut sugar/honey/maple syrup, and healthy fats such as butter and coconut oil (among more).
Good and Healthy Cooking also contains:
- Her story – Amanda shares with us how she came to have a love for healthy cooking and the steps she took to get there. She also shares about the healthier options she uses instead of white flour, white sugar, and hydrogenated oils – and the reasons why she believes they are better for our bodies.
- Homemaker Helps – A page at the end of most chapters that contains excellent and useful information. For example, the Homemaker Help in the Breakfast section explains how she does her baking day with all her children. She has a list of items she normally makes once a week, and checks the ones that need done, and also who will make them. I love this idea, but with my kids in school, it might be a little harder!
- Full, Beautiful Index – This one is handy if you need to look up a recipe quickly!
- Six Different Food Categories – Includes Breakfast, Breads & Salads, Soups & Sandwiches, Main Dishes, Desserts, and Beverages.
Do you believe me now about the beautiful pictures?
If you are still in doubt, click here for more photos.
Now since this is a cookbook, I wanted to try at least one recipe from the cookbook before I posted the review. I chose her Creamy Chicken Lasagna on page 136. Here is a picture of the finished product – right before I put it in my belly!
Delicious!! We all liked it – even though I had to make it with whole wheat linguine instead of whole wheat lasagna noodles. I couldn’t find any in our grocery store! It is also missing the green peppers because, when I pulled mine out of the fridge, I found them turning slimy. Yet even with these modifications, it was delicious! And one I’ve added to my weekly menu planner.
Amanda is giving away one book of
Good and Healthy Cooking to you all!
However, if you do not wish to wait for the giveaway to end . . . you can purchase your cookbook at their website for $18.99. They are running a special until December 15 for FREE SHIPPING on two or more cookbooks. Ladies, these would make an excellent Christmas gift!
And a note to you local ladies, if you wish to borrow my cookbook to take a peek at it . . . you may. 🙂 But I will need it back! I’m selfish that way.
This giveaway will be open to U.S. entries only and ends on December 4, 2014. Now let’s have some fun!
If you are viewing this in our Weekly Newsletter, you might need to click here to enter the giveaway. We use the Rafflecopter system and it doesn’t always show in emails. This should take you to the post so you can enter it. If that doesn’t work, click on the title of the post in your email.
Latest posts by Kendra (see all)
- Turning My Heart To Home - January 29, 2018
- Sledding Time - January 22, 2018
- When God Uses Our Own Words . . . In Conviction of Our Hearts - January 17, 2018